Monday 28 May 2012

Golden Days in Cadet Colleges


Before my result of M.A. was published, I had joined in a college as a part time teacher of English in a private college near to my residence to pass the leisure time effectively and to gain some experience. From my boyhood I had cherished the idea that teaching is a lofty profession and teachers are highly esteemed in the society as they are architects of the society. I have read in many places about the glorious role of the teachers in changing the society, and hence prepared myself to accept the noble profession. But in real life I found completely a different picture, which shattered my long cherished dream.
            Some of the teachers, who used to draw their salary regularly, were never found in college compound. Others who did not have much influence on administration had to come in the college but did not bother about the overall improvement of the students. None seemed to have any commitment as teachers. Even they used to help students to take unfair means in the public examinations. It pained me a lot and I prayed to Almighty so that I would get a job where I could serve properly and could make my life meaningful.
            I applied for a number of jobs and was appearing for written and viva tests one after another. One day I got the joining letter from the Chairman, Governing Bodies, Bangladesh Cadet Colleges asking me to join as a lecturer of English in Mirzapur Cadet College before 26th October, 1991. My result of M.A. was yet to be published. I joined there accordingly and found Syed Salimullah as the Principal, who was the chairman in my viva board. The work place was exactly what I always bore in my mind.
            As my father served in Rajshahi University, I was brought up in Rajshahi University campus. I studied in Rajshahi University School, Rajshahi College and Rajshahi University. I used to spend most of the time in British Council Library, Rajshahi University Library; I played in the grounds, swam in the swimming pool and in the ponds, watched cultural activities. So I wanted similar environment in my work place too and I got every thing in Cadet College campus. As a new teacher, it was challenging for me to tackle the talented cadets. However, I tried to make myself worthy for Cadet College. My stay in Mirzapur Cadet College was short; I was transferred to Rangpur Cadet College ten months after my joining.   
            Rangpur Cadet College, being near to Rangpur town, was attractive to the officers and employees of the college. According to me, Rangpur Cadet College of that time should be the model for all other cadet colleges. Lt. Col. Khodkar Obaidul Anwar was a dynamic Principal, who used to participate in all activities of the cadets; he played volleyball with cadets and teachers every day, played flutes on the stage and very often arranged cultural activities in officer’s club.  At the very day of reporting to the college, he advised me, “It may so happen that one day your son or daughter or any other relatives may get admitted in Cadet College. If you contribute by your merit and hard work, they will get the benefit; and if you neglect your duty and make the college worse, they will suffer.” How true he was! Being inspired by him, some of us started learning guitar. In one cultural function, Mr. Khetab Uddin Mondol, Mrs. Anis Hasina, Ms. Nasima and I played guitar together on the stage. After few days my classmate Mr. Nazrul Islam, now Deputy Director in Open University, joined there. It was a glorious time we passed there; we walked together around the college campus through the village roads and fields and discussed many necessary and unnecessary things. We didn’t know how time  passed. In 1994, I was posted in Rajshahi Cadet College, which is situated on the bank of the Padma.
            As my home district is Rajshahi, my attachment with my family members and relatives grew stronger. After few days I was made OIC of officers’ club. I used to arrange cultural function very often. The children of the campus were well trained; they could present a show with a very short preparation. My friend Nazrul was also transferred there and our gossip went on in full swing. We had trips in different places; we had also river cruise. We even dared to cross the Padma by swimming, ofcourse in dry season. Mr. Aminul Islam, Mr. Nurul Islam, Mr. Kayser, Mr. Manirul Islam, Mr. Habubur Rahman and many others were in our team. The most important time we passed at the tenure of Principal Lt. Col. Rezaul Alam, who was from engineering corps. He had also MBA degree. Being inspired by him Mr. Zahid and I started doing MBA under Open University. Our Principal helped us with his rich collection of books. He also inspired us to take classes with multimedia projectors. He himself showed us how to take class with PowerPoint presentation.  He instructed all teachers to make slides on their subjects. Thus we had a good collection of slides. Then all the computers were taken under network system. Result Sheets, Assessment Form which had been written manually by the teachers after giving three or four days labor, were then prepared by a computer application/software within twenty minutes. The application/ software was prepared by Mr. Mafiz, a lecturer of Physics. Form Masters used to input the marks and comments; House Master, Medical Officer, Adjutant and Principal posted their comments from their computers and final complete Result Sheets and Assessment Reports were printed from Vice Principal’s office. The Assessment Reports were signed by the concerned people just after result meeting. So it was possible to hand over Assessment Reports to the cadets at the time of departure in every term. I was also in charge of language lab which was a great  attraction for the cadets. I used to download audio clip and handouts from www.bbclearninenglish.com and used those in the lab.
            I want to remember with great respect Principal Lt. Col. Foyzul Islam, who was very sincere, sober and skilled as an administrator. He also made me OIC, cadet mess and told, ‘I want to give my authority to you to run the mess.’ After few months he called me and asked about my career as he was going for promotion meeting. After some enquiries, he said to me, ‘the person like you should get promotion.’ After coming from promotion meeting, he informed me of the good news. Then I was transferred to Joypurhat Girls’ Cadet College as an Assistant Professor.
            Joypurhat Girls’ Cadet College has occupied abandoned properties and buildings of cement factory and renovated those for the use of cadets and officials. Principal Abu Syed Biswas, a man of action, was sent as the founding Principal. I got him as Vice-Principal and subsequently as Principal in Rajshahi Cadet College. As it is a new cadet college, those who had been posted here were skilled and devoted. I was really astonished to see how the cadets, officers and employees were properly tuned up. Development work was going on in every sector. Computer lab, language lab, library were getting enriched. We also founded a school in the campus for the children of campus and surrounding areas. The role of Major Jubaer, ex-adjutant, should be remembered. Actually we all were in a creative mood. After the retirement of Mr. Abu Syed Biswas, came Princpal SM Jamshed Ali, whom I found in Rajshahi Cadet College as my  House Master. Now under his leadership we are working relentlessly for the overall improvement of the college. Recently this college has become jointly champion in Inter Girls’ Cadet College Sports Meet. The results of JSC, SSC and HSC are also outstanding.
            Here we are all in bondage of brotherhood. All are committed to their profession. I am lucky that I have got such friendly colleagues to stay in this lovely campus.